Thursday, December 29, 2011

'Plywood' Schürzen

My friend Gordon gave me a couple of StuG G tanks from the Flames of War starter set as a gift. These tanks have nice detail in added stowage on some of the tanks, but have the schürzen cast as part of the resin hull which makes them brittle and fragile. When I received these Gordon had already sanded them off in preparation of replacing them with Battlefront's supplemental plastic schürzen. Not wanting to wait for them to come in I fired up the laser and spun off some of my own out of 1/64" thick aircraft plywood. The engraved panel lines are deep enough to take paint/wash and should show nicely when painted. I also find them satisfyingly thin. When painted up I think they'll look like proper armor plate. Good enough for me!



4 comments:

Garou said...

Nice idea. If/when I get around to working on my FOW Germans, I'll have to keep that in mind.

DeanM said...

Wow! those are great - you should think about marketing them. Best, Dean

Matt D said...

nice work. The schürzen was always a huge weak point on these models. Yours look better than the plastic ones anyway. The only question I have is will the wood grain show up when painted?

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

The plywood grain is pretty fine. The plywood is rolled with heavy rollers which flattens it. I'm hoping that the grain won't show in the final product.

I plan to put camouflage and foliage on these so even if it does it should be obscured significantly.