Monday, September 19, 2011

North Africa - Recon! (2)

This is a platoon of Humber II armored cars. They're a divisional support choice for several British and Australian companies in both the "Hellfire and Back" and "North Africa" early and mid war OB books. I'm most likely to use them when I field my Australians as an early war Divisional Cavalry Squadron.

These are Battlefront models. I've chosen to model the platoon commander with an exposed commander figure in his very dapper red beret. The unit markings are located according to some photographs I found on the Internet, although the model doesn't allow any space on the rear of the model for unit markings in any sort of historically-accurate way so I left them off. As per my norm, I applied a 'chipped paint' look to the unit markings using the torn sponge technique. This was a fun, quick unit to paint up. Next up I'm working on two different units of which I'm not sure which will be completed first. The first is two platoons of captured Italian tanks in Australian service and the other is a large 3" mortar platoon. Both are large projects. Whichever one motivates me the most will probably be finished first.



5 comments:

Rodger said...

Even more lovely work AJ.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Been enjoying these posts AJ - the portee's are my favourite vehicle of the desert war, but these come a close second!

AdamC1776 said...

Didn't you just buy these on Saturday?

did you sip the Pats game or something?!

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

No I got some Italian tanks on Saturday. I got these the previous Saturday. Took me a whole week to paint them and the Portee 2 pounders.

AdamC1776 said...

That makes me feel bett :0