Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kingsbridge - Covered Bridge

When my friend James and I decided to start doing projects for each other, the this is the first piece I asked him to make for me. Considering all of the covered bridges in New England, New York and Pennsylvania during the revolution and the American Civil War, I thought having a covered bridge for skirmish gaming and as a focal piece for larger battles would be great. The first use I had in mind was as the center piece for an AWI skirmish or V&B wing scale game using the forces that skirmished near Kingsbridge during the battle of White Plains. You can just make out the bridge in this photo when I ran this game at the first Tricon convention.

The bridge was masterfully built by James modeled after a covered bridge that still stands a short distance from his home in Vermont. The bridge accommodates 25mm figures nicely as shown in the photos. The roof, walls and even the deck are removable to allow access to the figures inside, or to simulate the destruction of the bridge by removing it and replacing it with some rubble. The river features sand shores, real rocks and water made from liquid latex artist's medium hand colored with powdered pigments. The roof is shingled by hand with individual wooden shingles.










4 comments:

jmezz382 said...

Impressive ...... I am sure it adds to the gaming experience !

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

James really has a gift for modeling terrain. I was lucky to be able to do some plastic modeling in trade for these pieces.

jmezz382 said...

I am sure the plastic models must have looked great for a great trade of scenery

Giles said...

Outstanding! A gamer I know is working on something similar, so your pics will be very useful for him.

Best wishes

Giles